Saturday, November 20, 2010

thanksgiving desserts

Our church is celebrating Thanksgiving dinner together today and I, of course, wanted to sign up for dessert. Imagine my horror when I went to put my name on the sign up sheet and there was no dessert category. I just don't do salads and vegetables very well. Desserts are my thing. So I boycotted. I put my foot down. I said there's no way I'm bringing green bean casserole. I talked to the secretary, and even she was surprised there was no place for dessert on the list. So she created a spot just for me. And whoever else wants to bring dessert. Since it's our way to honor our Joy group (aka senior citizens) we're all supposed to bring a lot of food because they don't have to bring anything. So I'm making two desserts.
And just in case you don't know what to take on Thursday, here are two really good options:

Aunt Cindy's Pumpkin Cake
Mix in small bowl:

2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix in large bowl:
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 c. oil
2 c. pumpkin (small can)

Stir ingredients in small bowl into larger bowl, mixing well. Pour into ungreased angel food cake pan (I use a bundt pan). Bake 1 hour at 350. Frost when cool.
Icing:
1 - 8 oz. package cream cheese
1 stick margarine
2 tsp. vanilla
1 box powdered sugar

Mix until creamy.

Apple Goodie (a recipe from a Mennonite friend of my mom's)
1 1/2 c. sugar
pinch of salt
2 T. flour
1 1/2 qt. granny smith apples, peeled & sliced (about 6-8)
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix these ingredients together and put on the bottom of a greased 9X13" baking dish.

Topping (which I always double):
1 c. oatmeal
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. flour
2/3 c. butter
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/3 tsp. baking powder

Mix ingredients for topping until crumbly and put over top of apples. Pat down firmly. Bake until brown and crust is formed and bubbling. (I usually do 30 minutes at 325 and then another 10 or so at 350.)

Serve warm with ice cream. Or whipped cream as we will today.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Yummo! That first cake looks beautiful! :)