Monday, August 30, 2010

the dahlia festival

Yesterday Phil505 and I headed to Canby, Oregon, to check out the Dahlia Festival. Canby, as the sign said, is the Dahlia Growing Capital of the World. It was very obvious why. Oh man, I love me some flowers. And Oregon has a lot of them. A few years ago we saw the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival in Woodburn, earlier this spring it was the irises in Salem, and now, the dahlias. There is one thing I know, I will never grow tired of looking at entire fields full of blooming flowers. How can you not see the hand of our wonderful Creator at work when you see something like this?



Dahlias are amazing. They vary in size from mini pom-poms to huge gigantic bursts of brilliance. I loved the variegated ones. . .
and the ones that sort of resembled daisies.
But I think these were my most favorite of all. Check out the way the petals curl up. Is that not the coolest looking thing ever?
There were hundreds of varieties. In the basement of the barn, there were arrangements of all of them. Each arrangement was made using one kind of dahlia. It was quite spectacular.

So if you decide you want to come visit, and you know you do, plan a trip in April to see the tulips, early June for the irises, or the last weekend of August/1st weekend of September to see the dahlias. Trust me, you won't be sorry.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I. Love. Those. Flowers. Oh my... if I had been with you it would have been bad because I would have had my camera stuck in every flower.