Tuesday, March 10, 2009

God's gentle little reminders

Last week, Phil sent me an email at school (that he debated sending) that I got just before I left to come home. It basically said that someone had applied for the townhouse that we really liked. I tried not to let my emotions get the better of me, but they did. I was immediately ticked and my mood went right down in the dumps. In fact, I pretty much pouted about it the whole way home. I wanted that house.

I trudged up the steps, heavy bag in tow, ready to park it on the couch for the night (after I figured out what to make for dinner, of course), but to my disbelief, there was my sweet husband with a new list of properties to look at. He'd been surfing Craig's List and he was ready to go. He somehow apparently knew I would be disappointed and ready to be irritated all night, and was determined to help change my attitude. So he said, "Come on, let's go."

I'm sure I gave him the look that screamed, "I can't believe you're doing this to me, dragging me out in the cold and rain when I'm ready to be a brat all night in the comfort of my own home!" but I dropped my bag, turned around, and walked back to the car.

I kid you not, we got to the end of the second street over from our apartment, and there, in the big gray cloudy sky, was a rainbow. Phil pointed it out to me, "Look, Babe, a rainbow." But I had already seen it. I knew it was up there for a reason. The reason being to give my pouty little attitude a home makeover. Yes, I asked God for forgiveness right then and there. And I thanked Him for His promises.

Now I know that God doesn't speak audibly to us today like He did way back when, but let me tell you, if that wasn't Him speaking directly to me, then I don't know what was.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Yes... He comes to us sometimes when we least expect it but definitely when we most need it. God knows EXACTLY where y'all need to be. One thing the Lord has been teaching me lately is not to get upset when things don't go the way I have planned because He has seen the bigger picture.... and it's better. :) I'm still praying for you.