Sunday, January 25, 2009

phil's chicken pot pie

I married a man who can cook. A man who likes to try new recipes more than I do. And one of my favorite things he makes is chicken pot pie. It's good. And you don't have to just take it from me. It's already becoming famous at school. And my family members are firm believers. It started back in the first winter of our marriage. He found, in the Sunday newspaper's coupon section of all places, a recipe for chicken pot pie. He went out, gathered all the ingredients, and baked one up. And I came home that day to an unbelievably yummy aroma. My man is gifted in his chicken pot pie making abilities. I get giddy with excitement when he makes it.

In fact, he made it for me this week - when I was sick and not feeling up to making myself much more than a can of soup. No, that picture is not from this week. I didn't look nearly so happy.

Here's one recipe you will want to try. Trust me.

2 cans (12.5 oz.) chicken breast, drained
1 double pie crust (we use Pillsbury)
3 T butter
1/2 c. each - diced potatoes, chopped onions
1/4 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. frozen peas & carrots
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/8 tsp. ground white pepper
1/4 tsp. each - ground sage and rosemary, crushed

Melt butter, add veggies. Combine soup, herbs, spices & chicken. Stir into veggie mixture. Place one crust in the pie pan, add the filling, top with the other crust. Poke some holes and make it look cute. Bake 10 min. @ 400, then reduce heat to 350 for 40 mins. or until it's golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I am IMPRESSED!! You go, Phil!!! :) It looks YUMMY!

Are you feeling better??