Wednesday, December 31, 2008

saying goodbye to 2008

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? joined the Y - a place where men & women exercise in the same room at the same time. before that I had only joined women's clubs - BodyGenics & Curves. Got a facebook page. Oh, and I started blogging on blogger.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I always have the same exact New Year's resolution - to lose weight. I lost some, I gained some. I worked out a lot this year, but since I haven't quite figured out how to do the dieting & exercising at the same time for a long period of time, I don't see a lot of positive change.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? not yet, still waiting on my brother's baby to arrive; my friends Sonya & Ryan were able to adopt a baby boy a few days before Christmas

4. Did anyone close to you die? my grandma passed away from cancer

5. What countries did you visit? stayed right here in the good ol' US of A.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? better balance in day to day stuff, less time feeling overwhelmed about things, self-control, wisdom to know there's a bigger picture because I always forget about that.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Jan. 1st - sent Phil back to Portland and I helped my nephew Darick rearrange his bedroom. June 12 - our 4 year anniversary trip to the coast; July 19 - mom & dad arrived for their visit

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? starting off the school year feeling like I knew what I was doing. My classroom was organized, I had taken several days of professional development, and I finally felt ready.

9. What was your biggest failure? See #1.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? no. there were no stitches or hospital stays this year.

11. What was the best thing you bought? There are so many things we buy that are trivial, but one that was supposed to be free (thank you, Oprah) that I ended up spending a little over $16 on was my digital album from Snapfish which has most of the pictures from mom & dad's trip. I added extra pages and had to pay for shipping. I love looking at that book.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Phil's. He puts up with me. My moods. My quiet spells. My excitability. My lack of good meal planning. My everything. Give that man a standing ovation. And a bonus check. Ya, that would be nice.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I could mention the names of some students, but I won't. There were some family issues that weren't exactly a walk in the park.

14. Where did most of your money go? in the gas tank, to rent payments & bills, and to the scrapbooking industry.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? This was the first year in the four + years that I've been here that I had a lot of visitors: my cousin & his family, my friend Dawn and her husband from Maine, my parents, Ryan & Sonya. I was excited about seeing them all.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Casting Crowns - The Word is Alive. We saw them in concert in the spring and I was finishing up Beth Moore's Bible study A Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place. I can't explain the connection other than the Word felt ALIVE.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? happier b) thinner or fatter? about the same c) richer or poorer? about the same

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? scrapbook (it's hard to do it when I'm by myself)

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? procrastinate.

20. How did you spend Christmas? We made it to Phil's aunt & uncle's house Christmas Eve despite the fact that Arctic Blast 2008 made the roads super nasty. Then we came home and started opening gifts around 11:45 and ended around 12:30 - combing both our traditions. Christmas morning we slept in and then braved the roads again to venture to Camas to enjoy Christmas dinner with Justin & Angie Carter and their family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008? With Phil, more & more every day.

22. What was your favorite TV program? Biggest Loser. It's the only show that I actually somehow managed to watch every single episode in the season.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? no.

24. What was the best book you read? Marley & Me

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Celtic Women, they sing like angels. I actually discovered them last Christmas, but thanks to OPB, I've enjoyed their music at various times during the year.

26. What did you want and get? well, I have a very attentive husband. I am surprised time and again with things that I mention somehow showing up here on special occasions. For example, I went to a Stampin' Up Christmas open house and there was a really neat scalloped edge punch. I wanted it, and I almost bought it for myself, but I thought, well, I should just put it on my list. So Phil goes online, finds a consultant in Portland, and orders the punch for me. Then he had it shipped to him work so I wouldn't see it being delivered. That kind of sums up this question for me.

27. What did you want and not get? nothing - see #26

28. What was your favorite film of this year? we don't watch many movies, but we did just see Marley and Me. It's good.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 35 which kind of freaked me out a little. We had lunch at the Cheesecake Factory on our way to the coast. We camped at a beautiful place called Cape Lookout. Our anniversary is June 12 and my birthday is June 13 so we usually end up going away for a couple days. It was a very relaxing trip. Lots of time just spent on the beach enjoying the view.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? to stick to a healthier eating/exercise plan

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? lots of black :)

32. What kept you sane? my husband, and, believe it or not, blogging.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Bob & Jillian, the trainers on Biggest Loser. I'm sure they could give me a much needed swift kick in the pants.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? Probably the election. It seemed like the whole country was stirred by it.

35. Who did you miss? My family and friends that I don't often get to see

36. Who was the best new person you met???? I have no idea.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. God is so good to us. All the time. It doesn't matter what kind of day/week/month we're having. Whether we feel the sun shining or the darkness closing in on us, His name is to be blessed. see #38

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Blessed Be Your Name ~ Matt Redman
- - -
Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Great thoughts for the year, Wendy! :) Happy New Year!!!