Saturday, December 20, 2008

i'm dreaming of a white christmas. . .

as long as the freezing rain doesn't melt it overnight. Arctice Blast 2008 continues in the greater Portland metropolitan area. I had four snowdays this week and one two hour delay. Up until this last week, I hadn't had a snowday in four years. Of course, the worst weather came today. The local Fred Meyer was packed this afternoon with shoppers stocking up on all the essentials, but now sections of the freeway through the Gorge are shut down. We have continuous news coverage about the weather. Chains or traction devices are required. Heavy east winds expected tonight. Lots of flights cancelled (boy, that brings back bad memories). The list goes on and on.

Now mind you, for those of you who don't know me well, I grew up in Ohio. We didn't need chains or traction devices because we were smart enough to use the salt mined out of the ground below Lake Erie on the roads to melt the wintery conditions. But here, in Portland (or Mother Earth Land as my friend Natalie calls it) they don't use salt because it's harmful to the environment. How can that be??? I totally don't get their rationale. Salt comes from the stinkin' earth!!! They use a chemical deicer and throw down sand (which is really just small pebbles that crack people's windshields.) I must say that I did hear on the news coverage a few days ago that Washington DOT does use salt. I feel really good about living on this side of the river. With people who use their brains.

Here was our view from our deck around 5:00 this evening.

I like how the snowflakes kind of got captured in this next shot.

When Phil got home from work this afternoon, we went over to the post office and mailed the final package to my parents' house and the last round of Christmas cards. Now all I have left to do is wait and figure out what presents Phil has for me under the tree :) And bake, of course. Yesterday I made these. . .

They totally take me back to childhood. My mom made these peanut butter blossoms every year at Christmas. Phil's mom made them too. Only hers were fluffier. I have yet to figure out how to get them to fluff. And since she's not here for me to find out her secret to the fluff, if you know how, please let me know.

So now we sit tight by the fire, drink hot tea, and watch our stack of Christmas movies because I don't think we'll be going anywhere for a few days. Church hasn't cancelled yet for tomorrow, but the annual Christmas breakfast did. On Friday. All because of Arctic Blast 2008.

No comments: