Sunday, November 22, 2015

on teaching vocabulary words to five year olds

I subbed in two different kindergarten classes last week. In the first classroom, I introduced a new vocabulary word for their reading unit: slender. We talked about what it meant and looked around the room for slender things like pencils and straws. We even chatted about how Abraham Lincoln was tall and slender.

Three days later I was in another kindergarten class in a different building. A student says to me, "Teacher, you're not very slender." I gave my usual canned response I give to all students who comment on my size (as I'm saying to myself), 'Wow, he really learned what that word meant' was, "Well, not everyone is the same size. We all come in lots of different shapes and sizes. Imagine how boring the world would be if everyone was the same size."

Ya. That was my week. How the heck was yours?

1 comment:

bmarquez said...

They must have been using the same "slender" curriculum! Pretty funny.