Monday, July 9, 2012

friends, friends, and more friends

We hardly ever have company. It's hard for us with Phil's crazy early morning work schedule. But we made up for it this week and then some. And I loved every minute of it!

We had a fun 4th of July BBQ that evening. The weather was perfect! We invited lots of people that we know from church and friends I've made in some of the schools where I've taught. Not everyone could make it, but we had 19 altogether and it was so much fun! Lots of laughing and story-telling. And lots of good food. Potlucks are soooo the way to go! I tried out a new dessert recipe from pinterest for buckeye brownies and oh. my. word. they were good.

Wilson needs more visitors. Who wants to come next?



We ended the day watching the neighbors blow up thousands and thousands of dollars in fireworks. Didn't even have to leave the deck.
I had scheduled a hair cut for late Friday morning and I decided to call up my friend and former co-worker Shawn to see if she'd want to meet up for coffee. Shawn taught 3rd grade when I was teaching 2nd grade right next door. In fact, I wouldn't even call it right next door, we were in the same room really since the only thing that separated us was one of those big curtain dividers. Every once in a while I'd say something or make up some crazy song and dance routine and a few moments later laughter would erupt from the other side. It was a blast! She was there for me when a few students nearly put me over the edge every single day for about 175 days and was a great listener and sounding board. We also cohorted together and created Camp Read-a-Lot at the end of the year. We had a fake campfire, lots of lawn chairs, tents, and s'mores and all of us just sat around and read. The kids loved it! She has got to be one of the funniest people I've ever met in my entire life and I miss her terribly. So since my hair salon was right down the road from her house she met me in Troutdale and we found a quaint little place to sit outside and drink our lattes and mocha and catch up. What a great morning. Girl time and a hair cut!

Shawn is blogging now. Check her blog out and say hi at New Things and Old Things.
And then, to top it all off, I got to have a planned-at-the-last-minute visit from my friend Erik and his family. I met Erik 20 years ago when we were students at Word of Life Bible Institute. He's from Eatonville, WA, about three hours from here. Now I've been in the northwest for 8 years and while we've talked about getting together several times, we had not. Turns out they had a free weekend and his wife messaged me on Facebook and wanted to know if we were going to be home. We were, and we had Phil's brother, sister-in-law, and nephew staying with us. Since the bedroom with the air mattress was taken I offered them our back yard so they brought their tent and stayed overnight. Erik and I hadn't seen each other in 19 years. I did get to see him on our Tennessee Temple "recruiting trip" to Word of Life Florida in 1993 when he was there studying at the second year program and a bunch of us first year students conned TTU administration into paying for us to go down there and try to get some new students. How that ever happened is beyond me, but it did, and we had a blast. I have so many fun memories with Erik and it was so good to reconnect with him and finally meet his family.

The Big E and Schwendy Klinedog meet again!
And then yesterday Phil took me and Willy-poo to the beach and today we've been lazy. . . lounging around and watching tv. . . and being reminded of the importance of maintaining my friendships, however far away from me they may be.

2 comments:

Luci Smith said...

Oh my Camp Read-a-Lot......I remember that day so well. I think that was the day Emma realized just how much she LOVED reading. She still talks about that day. AND....she has been lost in a book almost everyday since then. You are an amazing teacher. Don't forget that.
I miss Shawn, and Katrina.....you guys gave me some laughed at recess. I always enjoyed it when it was you ladies turn to be outside with me at recess.

Mika loves your boy Wilson. We need to get them together again.

Luci

Kellie said...

That is wonderful. :) So glad you have been able to catch up with old and new friends. There is nothing like it! I would love to visit Wilson.... :)