Tuesday, August 16, 2011

the new job update

Well, it's official. I'm teaching kindergarten this year. Holy. Cow. It happened so fast and was easy and relatively pain free. Here's how it all went down:

My friend and former co-worker, Michelle Corbin (for those of you that know her), put a message to her teacher friends on her Facebook status that she needed a kindergarten teacher for this year. I, still needing a job but not certified to teach kindergarten, sent her a message. She wrote me back and said to call her. So I did. I went in to meet with her, had a second interview with another person on the church staff, and got the job. All this happened in less than a week's time.

So I'll be working at New Beginnings School (172nd and Sandy in Portland). The kindergarten is embedded into their daycare/preschool program. (It's infants - kindergarten.) So it's going to be quite different than what I'm used to in a regular elementary school setting. Because of the size of my room, they have to cap the class at 10 students. Currently, there are five enrolled. FIVE. These five children should be reading encyclopedias by the time they graduate.

I've been busy looking at kindergarten teacher blogs and pinterest, trying to get ideas and figure out what I should do to start the year. I feel like I know absolutely nothing about kindergarten. There will be some curriculum to use, but I have a feeling that I'm going to need lots of things to fill in the rest of the time because you know that kinders have short attention spans, and I have a feeling that with only five, things will get done a lot quicker.

I'm thankful that the Lord has answered prayers and given me a job. Even though it's not exactly what I wanted, and to be quite honest, I had a hard time with that, I am still going to be teaching. And that's what I wanted to do. I'm not going to be flipping burgers at McDonald's or pumping gas at Costco! I'm glad that I don't have to worry about being unemployed for much longer. My first official day back is the 29th. The kids come the day after Labor Day.

We also had the inspection on our house last week. All of our paper work has been turned in and now we're waiting on the appraisal, then everything gets sent to the underwriters. We are set to close August 31st, Phil's birthday :) If all goes well, we are looking at a moving day of September 24th. I have to get school started before I can think about moving. I can't even think about paint colors without having a nervous breakdown!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

This makes me so giddy how the Lord answered both of our prayers for you in such close time. I realize Kindergarten is not your choice of places, but apparently the Lord says YES, Wendy, you can DO THIS. I'll be cheering you! If He has called you to do this, He will give you all you need to accomplish the job... and those kids WILL have their PhD's when they are done in the spring/early summer. :)