I made this yummy trifle twice this weekend - one for a birthday party and one for a 4th of July BBQ. I thought I should share the recipe for it.
Start off by baking the pound cake. This recipe came from Thelma Cartwright, the mother of one of my former roommates, Jenny. Please don't let all the high calorie ingredients scare you off. Or then again, maybe you should be scared away! But it's really, really good.
3 sticks of butter
1 - 8 oz. cream cheese
3 c. sugar
3 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1. Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar.
2. Add eggs and vanilla to creamed mixture and beat well.
3. Mix flour and salt together. Gradually add to creamed mixture.
4. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan.
5. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes at 325.
You'll also need to mix one large box of instant vanilla or white chocolate pudding. I forget the size of box, but it's the one that calls for 3 c. milk. Use 2 1/2 cups of milk instead and let it set up in the fridge. When you're ready to assemble the trifle, fold in one small container of cool whip.
Then you cube the cake and start layering. I used blueberries and strawberries, but you could use whatever berries are in season. Just be sure to make it look pretty!