Monday, June 6, 2011

the light at the end of the tunnel

I have a day and a half left of school. Hard to believe it's almost over. Today I busted my buns to get the kids' memory books finished. Sorting papers, punching holes, getting everything on the rings. It's kind of a pain in the bazooka, but so worth it in the end.

I've been teaching for about 13 years, but I've only started putting these together when I got into the lower primary grades, so this marks the fourth year of last minute insanity. I save a lot of writing samples from the year, throw in a few other little projects that have been on display, the old "these are my favorites" pages, self-portraits, and a bunch of color copied scrapbook pages of all the fun days, I put them in chronological order, and they get the whole year on one inch binder rings. Usually I laminate the covers, but I don't think that's gonna happen this year. (Teacher friends, go here for a free memory book download! I used quite a few of her very cute pages in our books this year.)



They are really cool to look through and see the progress that has been made. The kids get a big kick out of seeing some of their earlier work because even they can see how much better they are by the end of the year, and I like it because it makes me feel as if I've actually really taught them something in the last nine months.


Then there's the best part - the pictures they draw of me and what they write about me that they'll always remember. Most of them said they'll remember how I always sing, and no one this year mentioned scrapbooking. I hope that the moms in my class put these babies in a safe place so they can be pulled out at graduation time and give everybody a good laugh.

Today we also started tearing down the room. Kids are really great little staple removers, and I'll use any help I can get. It's going to take me a while to get everything packed up and hauled home. Not exactly a job I'm looking forward to.


In other news, I applied for a teaching position yesterday. It's for a 2nd-3rd split class at a Christian school. I have lots of experience in those combination classes for some odd reason, so I'm hoping it works out to my advantage.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

They are too cute! That is definitely a keeper. :)

Praying you get that job!!!