Wednesday, June 2, 2010

the great power surge of 2010

At approximately 4 am, I kissed Phil505 and sent him on his merry little way to work. I whispered, "Drive carefully, it's really rainy out there." Because we're having record breaking rain all the way from the stinkin' Philippines, and I'm not even kidding, and off the topic, but if any of my plants survive the deluge they've been experiencing, it will be only by some small miracle.

I got up, visited the little girl's room, and promptly went back to bed. Because it's practically ungodly to be up and functioning at 4 am.

I have this thing for quickly falling back to sleep at that hour of the morn, after my man leaves to bring home the bacon. I don't know if it's because the bed is suddenly colder or if it's just because 4 am is just way too early to be up.

Then at 4:10, everything, and I mean everything, starts flickering, lights are flashing, I hear the computer making weird noises, I can see from across the hall the lights on the treadmill and ellyptical going off and on. Then total darkness. I quick grab the hubs' mag light from the hall closet and proceed throughout the house unplugging everything. Because I seriously thought the great power surge of 2010 was going to ruin every electronic thing we own.

I began envisioning nights without tv, days going by without being able to blog, what we were going to have for dinner since the crockpot wasn't going to work, and, most importantly, trying to figure out how I was going to blowdry and straighten my hair before work. Because we all know that's what was really on my mind at that very moment.

I called my mom and she promised to give me a wake up call at 5:30 because obviously my alarm clock isn't working. And while I was on the phone with her, I realized that my car was parked in the garage, and the automatic garage door opener wasn't going to work. And how in the heck was I going to get to school? I sent Phil a text. I went back to bed, and slept a little. Mom calls, I get up, take a shower by flashlight, and then, at approximately 6:25, he came home and rescued me out of the deep, dark trenches of the garage. He came all the way from Portland, people! Because he's my knight in shining armor and I'm his damsel in distress who had no earthly idea how to get the garage door open when there's no power.

And I kid you not, less than 10 minutes after he left to go back to work, the power came back on.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Now that is a sweet hubby. :) That is kind of like the glasses we found... except ours cost more. lol Glad your lights came back on.. did they ever find out what was the problem?

So glad you were able to use my baby bird pictures to show your class!! That makes me happy to know more students got to enjoy them!