Monday, July 6, 2009

what i did on my trip to ohio, week #1

For those of you who are continuing to check my blog (and I know you are) and have seen zero posts in the last 17 days (except for that 'o' one today - and I'm not sure what that was all about), and are experiencing extreme Wendy's awesome blog withdrawal, here you go.

  • My friend, Barbara, was going to take me to the airport, but her car overheated on the I-205 bridge, and we had to resort to plan B. Thankfully, her daughter lives just down the road from me and was able to come get me and drop me off (Barbara, we waved at you as we passed by on the other side, did you see us?) and then pick her mom up so she wouldn't have to ride in the tow-truck. I got there with lots of time to spare.
  • I had to pay 15 bucks to check my bag with Northwest Air. That was just ridiculous.
  • I got a good reminder of why I hate the Minneapolis/St.Paul airport so much.
  • My friend, Natalie, picked me up at the airport because my dad had an endoscopic procedure that day and was all drugged up (but the bleeding ulcers are all gone), my mom hates driving on the freeway, and my sister had to make the Goldfish.
  • I got to meet my new niece, Lavender. She and I bonded instantly. She looks like her mom, but totally has my brother's ears. She's a teeny-tiny bundle of baby goodness.
  • I also got to meet Lavender's siblings. They called me Aunt Wendy just like they've known me their whole lives.
  • I went to Wal*mart three times in one week. Like I've said before, there's not much to do in Ashland, Ohio.
  • I went through withdrawal from the internet.
  • I discovered I could go lots of days in a row without checking my blogs or facebook or email. I'm not saying I liked it, just that I can do it.
  • I attended Bethel Baptist Church and got lots of hugs. In fact, Glenda nearly knocked over the whole pew to get to me.
  • I got to see my Aunt Barbara and Uncle Robert who were in from Florida. I practically lived at their house when I was in college. And so did half my floor.
  • I got a really great picture of my Grandma Fannie, but my camera won't upload to the computer since our big virus incident, so you're not going to get to see it today.
  • I got to meet my cousin Jody's new baby and see her other three kids who are all big and grown up now.
  • I got to sleep on an air mattress that had a hole in it. Lovely.
  • My Uncle Garry saved my back the next day by bringing me his air mattress.
  • I got to wake up early to the sound of hammers pounding. My parents are renovating their house, changing the garage into a new great room and building a new huge gigantic garage.
  • I had slumber parties with Darick and Hannah. The best line Hannah had the whole time I was there was late one night when Darick wouldn't shut up. She said, "Hey Darick! I've got a great idea! How 'bout you be quiet so we can get some sleep?" It was priceless.
  • I got to go to the Pepperidge Farm employee store, thanks to my sister, the great Goldfish maker. Can I get a woot-woot for 85 cent bags of Goldfish???
  • I sent Phil a care package of Pepperidge Farm stuff. I thought I had such a good deal going on - until I paid 22 bucks to ship it Priority.
  • I went through Phil withdrawal.
  • Speaking of Hannah and my sister, did you all know that Hannah looks like me? It makes my sister irritable when people say that. But they don't care, because they keep saying it.
  • I stayed with my sister and her family a couple of days. We ordered Chinese. In Willard, Ohio. Folks, no one in Willard, Ohio knows the least bit about making good sesame chicken. Just wait til my sister comes out here next summer and I take her to Great Taste Chinese. Then she'll see what I'm talking about.
  • I also got my share of Bob Evans, down on the farm. If you've ever eaten at Bob Evans, then you know what I mean. There are no Bob Evans restaurants in this part of the world. Or Cracker Barrels, but don't get me started.
  • I got my sister and her kids to do my Biggest Loser aerobics video with me one morning. It was hysterical.
  • I was forced to watch Twilight with my sister. All the hype and I still don't get it. Why are teenaged girls (and grown women for that matter) all googly-eyed over a vampire?
  • I was reminded that I'm really glad I wasn't born Amish or Mennonite. Riding in a buggy barefoot and hanging my clothes out on a line that stretches to the barn (without the soft feeling of Bounce Free) would just about do me in.
  • I got to be with Natalie one night during a thunderstorm. Jamie promptly whipped out the Yahtzee game for us because. . .well, that's just what we do when it storms.
  • I was reminded how much I hate thunderstorms.
  • First I read in the paper that Ed MacMahon died. Then Farrah Fawcett's news came on the radio. Then I heard way too much on TV about Michael Jackson. ("Put him in the ground already," that's what my Dad kept saying.) And then Billy kicks the bucket.
  • Who's going to sell Oxy Clean now?
  • I got to spend a girls' day out with my mom and my sister. Jenny and I got our hair done by Jill, our wonderful friend who also just so happens to live next door to my grandma. Jill is awesome, hysterically funny, and more like Martha Stewart than just about anyone I know.
  • I realized just how much I miss my best hair girl. Even though Tiffany is awesome and she highlights my hair with two colors. I still miss Jill.
  • We then went shopping and took about five detours to get back home because every last blasted road in northeast Ohio had a bridge out.

All that, and this is only the first week.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Schwen,
So good to see that you're back! I've missed reading your blog. What is it about Ohio that one always hits the local Walmart within a few days of returning? Can't wait to hear about week #2.

Kellie said...

Glad to see you back! Looks like you had a great time! Loved all of your thoughts... I must agree wholeheartedly about the "Twilight" thing... I saw it with one of my friends the day you left for Ohio and was not just giddy over seeing the next one. It was OK, but that was it... OK. LOL :)

Natalie said...

"Who is going to sell Oxy Clean Now???" I love it! I can't stop laughing about that!

and yes, people, please let Michael DIE ALREADY!!!!


Love you. *HUGS*
Nat.