Sunday, May 10, 2009

happy mother's day

She was there when I was born with a cone shaped head after a very long labor. (Sorry about that whole not-wanting-to-come-out thing.)
She was teaching the lesson in Sparks the night I asked Jesus in my heart.
She's sung soprano for as long as I can remember.
She was the church custodian and I was an assistant. When I didn't really want to be. You could say it was sort of forced slave labor. But at least I know how to clean.
She has listened to me play The Spinning Song on the piano over and over and over again.
She was a youth leader when I was in junior high, and she survived a very long trip to Word of Life on a church bus - more than once. I'm sure there will be special crowns in heaven just for that.
She is famous for her banana bread.
She cried when she left me at college.
She sent me the pretty stamps because I wasn't a huge fan of the flag ones.
She's loved all my girlfriends as though they were her own.
She has always kept kids and is known as Grandma Sharon to about half of Ashland County.
She didn't freak out when I told her I was chatting with a guy from Oregon on a Christian matchmaker site.
She helped me plan my wedding.
She hid a note in the cooler for us to find when I moved across the country.
She gives and gives and gives and gives. Then she gives some more.
She's my mom.

There is a point where you aren't as much mom and daughter as you are adults and friends. It doesn't happen for everyone--but it did for Mom and me. --Jamie Lee Curtis

A mother is never cocky or proud, because she knows the school principal may call at any minute to report that her child has just driven a motorcycle through the gymnasium. --Mary Kay Blakeley

Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers, and sisters, aunts and cousins, but only one mother in the whole world. --Kate Douglas Wiggin

I love you, Mom. Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day.


in loving memory of my mother-in-law, Devy Bergland

No comments: