Sunday, December 28, 2008

date night fire drill

Over the summer I read the book Marley and Me by John Grogan. I finished it up at the beach when we were there for our anniversary. I was sitting in front of those trees. Close your eyes and picture me on the beach in a new cushy beach chair crying at the end. I should've brought the kleenex.

It's such a good book!!! And as you've all probably seen the previews on TV, Marley and Me is now in theatres. I'll bet Mrs. Grogan is pretty pleased she has the lovely Jennifer Anniston playing her. I mean, seriously, if a movie was going to be made about your life, who would you pick to play you?

Anyway, we went to the 5:00 show because we weren't hungry enough for dinner yet, and we thought we could see the movie and then find a restaurant nearby. Got there a little early. Found our seats. Watched all the previews. The movie comes on. We laugh. We oooh. We ahhh. I make it through the first crying scene (yes, there are more than one) wishing again I had those darn kleenex. The movie plays a little longer, it's getting really good, and then all of a sudden, the screen goes blank, strobe lights start flashing on the walls, and a digital voice recording comes on telling us to evacuate the building at the nearest exit because there is an emergency in the theatre. Our exit happened to be at the front near the screen. The place was packed. There were people coming out of doors all over the place.

We all meandered across the street from the front of the theatre in the parking lot. Several people chose to leave. We waited it out. I wanted to see the end of the movie! The fire department shows up. They check the inside of the building and gave us the all clear. Amazingly, I heard no one saying bad words or getting grumpy or irrational. They started letting us back in, the line moved better than I expected, and upon our arrival back inside the building, we were all given free movie passes for our grief!!! It was probably either some kid pulling the fire alarm or some teeny-bopper smoking in the bathroom.

I'm happy to report that I was not the only one crying in there even though I knew what was going to happen. Women were weeping. I could hear the sniffles. And it wasn't just women. In fact, as we were getting ready to leave, I noticed an older gentleman behind us trying to clean himself up with his hanky. Just be prepared if you go to watch it. Bring some kleenex.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Never read the book... may need to check out the movie. :) Glad all was well... and a free pass to the movies came out of it! :)