Wednesday, November 12, 2008

the first man on the moon. . .was he really a basketball player???

Today at school we celebrated Veteran's Day. It started out with a special chapel with all the kids (and the teachers) dressed down in their red, white & blue. And then in 2nd grade we had a grand time with five veterans coming in to share some of their military experiences with us. In the afternoon we made a pretty fun Uncle Sam to display a writing assignment on in the hallway. And then we ended the day with a big bash - and all the food was red, white & blue. Well, except for the Oreos. But they are the all-American cookie.

So one of the veteran grandpas donates this flag to our class. It's in a stand, maybe a foot and a half tall, and it has something sewn inside the flag so that while it's playing music, it looks like it's waving in the breeze. (I should've taken a picture of it.)

After I got it out of the box I noticed on the back there were about 20 questions in a patriotic quiz. Lots of them we had already discussed, and I thought it would be fun to go over them and see what they knew. We came to the question, "Who was the first man on the moon? He planted an American flag." They were having a tough time with this one. So I gave them a hint. I said, "Here's a clue. . . Neil."

quiet thought-provoking pause.

And out of nowhere, one of my girls shouts, "Shaqueil O'Neil!!!"

It's at this point I internally cry out. . . "I'm no Annie Sullivan. I'm not a miracle worker!!!!!!!"

Fortunately, one of my boys got the answer right. And then I got to have bragging rights on how Neil Armstrong is from Wapakoneta, Ohio, and I've been to the Neil Armstrong Air & Space Museum. . .and all good Americans come from Ohio. . .and blah, blah, blah.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

LOL!! Kids... they know how to take a special moment and bring it down a notch. Of course... they are always good TEACHING moments, aren't they???