Monday, April 28, 2008

oh, the things i hear and see

So this year, as you know, I'm teaching 2nd grade. So, so, so interesting, these little ones. I'm trying to record some of the funny things they say and write. Here are a couple from last week. . .

One of my boys is named Ichabod Dizon (pronounced Dee-zon). {And no, Ichabod is not his real first name, but I must protect the innocent.} Another boy was talking about him one morning and said, "Well, I was just talking to Ichabod DIJON (as in the mustard) about it." (I totally cracked up.)

Then I was grading papers and they had to write some answers to questions about American symbols. One of the questions was, "Why do you think the bald eagle was chosen as our national bird?" Now, mind you, we talked about it, I read a book to them about American symbols, we listed things on the board that would be appropriate answers and then one of the boys writes, "I think it was chosen because of its great personality." (Hmmm. . . I didn't know bald eagles had great personalities, did you???)

On another assignment, they had to write a question for me that they wanted me to answer. One was, "Mrs. Bergland, why don't you like tapping?" My response, "I don't like tapping or any other annoying repetitive sounds because they drive me insane!!!" (Meaning next time you want to come visit me, you might be seeing me in a psych ward.)

And today I was talking to a boy and his mom about the book report he's working on for Friday. He tells me, "I've only got 10 more pages to read!" I was like, "Wow! You're practically ahead of the game." And he goes, "Yah, I'm ahead behind." (Can someone please tell me what that means exactly?)

So there you have it. . .a little bit of life in the 2nd grade.

No comments: