Saturday, April 26, 2008

i've always wondered

How many times have I passed stalled cars as I'm driving down the road and wondered what I would do if such a thing should happen to me? Well, Friday afternoon, I found out.

But first, I have to start by telling about my visit with the Ziemers. My cousin Gerald and his wife Kristy are missionaries to Romania and they're currently in the States on furlough.
Many of you readers will recognize their names since you've probably met them at Word of Life Island, where Gerald was a crazy program guy lip sincing to that song "Movin', Moo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoooooo-vin'; Movin' Up to Glory Land" back in 1989 and Kristy was an STC supervisor (the three of us watched a lunar eclipse that summer - "ahhhh. . . the moon over Schroon").
Or perhaps you'll know them from the time they spent in Chattanooga as newlyweds when I was in school at TTU. Well, it's now been 15 years and 4 kids later! Michael is 12, Corina is 10, Zachary is 8 and Brianna is 4. Aren't they cute? (And don't they look like their parents?)
A few months back, he had called while they were visiting with my family in Ohio and I asked, "So, are you coming out to visit me too?" And I was shocked when he said, "Why, yes, we are. We're coming out that way in the spring!"

So Friday was the big day. I took the day off and Phil had been on a wacky work schedule for two weeks and already had Friday off. They came over around 10 to our place and we chatted and looked at wedding pictures and scrapbooks. I was so glad to be able to see them and spend time together. I was able to meet their youngest, Brianna, for the first time. It was so fun to see the personalities of Gerald & Kristy in yet another child.
I couldn't believe how big the other three had gotten in (what we figured to be) seven years since I'd last seen them all. We had lunch together at Izzy's Pizza - where they had dined with Kristy's sister just the day before. Exact same restaurant and everything. But, we were assured that they all loved the buffet at Izzy's and not to worry about it. (But notice Gerald's eyes, this is what happens when you eat at a pizza buffet two days in a row! ha!!!!)
Around 2:00 they had to head to Eastern Washington to meet with some of their other supporters and we said our goodbyes. Hopefully it won't be another 7 years until we meet up again next time. {LOVE YOU GUYS!}

Then Phil & I went to one of my favorite stores because "I didn't have anything to wear to the Mother-Daughter banquet" Saturday. We shopped for a while and came back out and the car wouldn't start. A few little clicks, but not much else. The key fob wasn't even working. So we walked down the street 2 blocks or so to Midas where some very helpful lady got us hooked up with one of their mechanics who drove Phil back to the car to get a jump while I stayed behind for collateral. After they had arrived back to Midas, she said that a new battery through them would be $165 - yes, that's a lot of money, seeing how most batteries are like $60 or so. But we apparently have a wacky battery in our '04 Taurus. Then she suggested that we check with Batteries Plus up the road because they have prices that can't be beat. And not only did she suggest it, she actually called them for us!

Phil & I drove back up, got the battery, and headed back to Midas to have it installed, and the car just DIES almost right in front of a Burger King, a block and a half away! Immediately I said something like, "No, Jesus, please no!" (which was reminiscent of the time Natalie grabbed my wrist and said, "Oh, God, Lord Jesus help me" at a time we were once again near death). But there was to be no revival of the car. I get out, walk back to Midas, only to find out the guy with the jumper cables has left for the day. Then down the street comes Phil and some guy who was waiting for a bus pushing the car into the Midas parking lot. A different mechanic installs the new battery, and Phil has to wait a while to pay because some guy is inside yacking at the very nice lady. So for waiting so patiently, she gives Phil a $20 gift certificate toward our next service!!! So not only did she save us $100 on the battery, but basically she had it installed for us for free! How's that for a story?

1 comment:

LoraBell said...

Aw! Love the blog and photos. You look good, too. Second grade must agree with you!! :) Lora