Thursday, December 4, 2014

santa came to school

I was subbing for a reading intervention teacher today and had a bunch of small groups. Just after lunch I had a small group of 2nd graders come in. The first boy said, "Look Mrs. B., I got new shoes!" I oooed and awwwwed and made it out to be a big deal, because to them, it is. These kids don't have a lot. Most of them get free breakfast and lunch, they go home with food bags, they visit the family resource center for school supplies and clothes. Getting new shoes is a pretty big deal. So I was surprised when another one of the boy says, "I got new shoes too!" I was like, "No way, you both got new shoes?" And then one of the girls pipes up and says, "Ya, Santa came and brought all of us a new pair of shoes, our whole entire class!"

You guys, these kids were so excited about their shoes. They had the biggest, happiest smiles on their faces. I don't know, it's like I immediately felt the spirit of Christmas wrap around my heart, and if I had a moment, I would've teared right up in front of them. At recess a little while later, I went in and talked to the teacher and told her how stoked her kids were about their new shoes. She said, "I know, isn't it great?" And I think we both got a little teary eyed.

So, whoever it was that donated shoes for an entire class of 2nd graders, thank you. You reminded me again of what it's all about.

No comments: