Monday, June 3, 2013

if you plant them they will grow

The ol' flower beds are brightening up these days. Flowers make me happy. One can never can have too many flowers. Just this weekend I scored some perennials on the clearance rack at Lowe's. $2.49 a piece? Heck ya. My color scheme is mostly pinks and purples with some white. But there will also be a smash of yellow and some shades of gold as the summer progresses.

The first buds on our fuschias. Baby plants from the annual Fred Meyer's Fuschia Saturday sale.
Pretty purple African daisies. 
My three year old hens and chicks. Nearly too big for the little square pot they've been growing in. These remind me of my grandma. She had these growing in a small bed by the garage when I was growing up. 
 Salvia buds about ready to burst into purple blossoms.
I had my doubts about these. The hostas that I planted as roots last year came up this year. Well, two out of three came up. Big huge green leaves loving the shade on the back side of the house.
Second year for all our roses too. They also just started out as dormant roots, but you'd never know by looking at them now. Isn't this beautiful? It's kind of white on the outside and red on the inside.
 The last of the irises.
I've been digging up stuff, moving plants around, and edging the beds. We had to move some things because we made a big-time expensive adult decision to have a dead tree cut down today, so now I'll have a big bare spot to think about.

2 comments:

Luci Smith said...

I really need color in my yard. One year I will be serious and do something about it. I will be asking you for advice.

Luci Smith said...

I really need color in my yard. One year I will be serious and do something about it. I will be asking you for advice.