Tuesday, May 31, 2011

phil505's weekend with wendy

You know, sometimes it seems like I never get to see my husband. Our hours are totally off from each other. He gets up early. I sleep late. He goes to bed early. I stay up late. He has Mondays off. I have Saturdays off. Somewhere in the middle there, we try to at least eat dinner together. But this weekend. . . he was all mine. And I'm glad he arranged his vacation time so we could do something together.

As you have already read, Friday night was Riverdance. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. And it took all the energy I could muster not to hum the songs out loud (I have the soundtrack practically memorized) and to keep my body still. Thankfully, I don't think I bugged the other guy sitting beside me too much. I was also surprised that the girls were all wearing their hair straight. Maybe the curls are just for little girls.

Saturday was "let's go garage sale-ing" day. It was fun. Most of the stuff we saw was total junk that even the Goodwill wouldn't want. My motto was beginning to be "One man's junk is one man's junk." But we managed to end the day with a boom box for the garage and a brand new picture frame. Oh, and let's not forget the piece of milk glass that Phil505 bought to add to his collection.

On the way home we stopped at a greenhouse and I got enough flowers to do three of my pots. I'm still waiting on the tulips to die off before I can plant the big raised bed. It felt good to get my hands in the dirt again.We also broke down and got a pizza. First time we've had pizza in a long time.


Sunday we headed to the beach.
It was cloudy and cool, but not raining, so we took that as a sign. There were a lot of people that had the same idea, but it wasn't too bad. We packed a picnic lunch and relaxed for a while and then took a really long walk on the beach.


Monday we went for another long walk. There's a really great paved walking trail right behind our house. Well, behind our house and across a really busy road. And you have to walk out of and around the neighborhood to get to it, so it's not like it's easy access or anything. We've lived here two years and we've never been on it. . . until 8:30 Monday morning. I was always a little afraid of it. Isn't that stupid?


As we were coming around the loop on our block, we saw a little girl with her backpack heading toward the bus stop. I asked her if she knew there wasn't any school because it was Memorial Day and she started crying and told me her mom said to go to school. I told her again that there wasn't any school that day because all the schools were closed and she really started crying. I felt so bad for her. We could hear her all the way down the street. (Get a clue there, mom. Kids don't go to school on national holidays.) She wasn't there after the hour or so that it took us to get back, so I'm hoping her mother was finally able to wake up and smell the coffee.


Mix in a little yard work, garage organization, laundry, TV, and extremely sore feet, and you could say we had a lovely finish to our weekend. Now we're looking forward to the next national holiday. . . Phil505 and Wendy celebrate seven years of marital bliss followed the very next day with. . .Wendy's spectacular birthday extravaganza!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Glad y'all had a great weekend together!! I cannot believe the little girl that was going to school on Memorial Day!