Saturday, May 29, 2010

you say to-may-to, i say to-mah-to

This week I experimented with two new recipes, both involving tomatoes. Because I firmly believe you can never have too many tomatoes in your diet. Even if your mouth gets a sore from all the acid.

The first recipe is for the Pioneer Woman's salsa. I saw it on a friend of a bloggy friend's blog. Since my own stash of canned salsa from last summer is almost gone, I thought I'd give it a try. Can I get a yum-mo? I used it as the base for my chili the other day and it was just as good as when I've made it using the salsa that I've canned.

Salsa
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
2 cans Rotel (I use mild)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 c. chopped onion
juice of one lime
1 clove garlic, chopped
Jalepeno, finely chopped (I used 1/2 of it and it was plenty hot for us)
Cilantro, chopped - however much you want

Pulse all ingredients in a food processor 7-8 times. Then pulse until you get the consistency you want. Store in a closed container in the refrigerator. It keeps quite a long time.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

And my next recipe is for a homemade marinara sauce. I've been trying to eliminate high fructose corn syrup from our diet, and, believe it or not, a lot of canned spaghetti sauces have that in it. I've made sauce from another recipe before, but it always turns out very liquidy. I saw this one on the twopeas message board yesterday and I made it tonight for dinner with some pasta. I don't believe I'll ever buy spaghetti sauce at the store again. It's that good. It's thick too. And it makes quite a bit, so some of it will be going in the freezer for a rainy day. Because we all know that we have lots of rainy days here in Washington.

Marinara Sauce
1 T. olive oil
1 lg. onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
2- 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 T. chopped fresh basil and/or parsley

Saute the onions in olive oil until soft, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Add Italian seasoning and cook for another minute. Add tomatoes and basil/parsley. Let simmer 1-1 1/2 hours. When finished simmering, puree with an immersion blender until smooth, if desired.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

YUM. O. Mikayla would be in love with both of those because they involve tomatoes. lol :)