Tuesday, April 13, 2010

tonight's dinner

I'm always on the lookout for crockpot recipes that seem to work without turning whatever has been cooking all day into mush. Well, I found an easy one for shredded pork tacos.

Ingredients:
1 jar of salsa verde (the green salsa)
1 pork roast (I think I had a picnic roast, not sure of the size)

Directions:
Dump some salsa in crockpot, add the roast, dump the rest of the salsa over top. Cook all day on low. Shred. Make tacos as usual with whatever toppings you enjoy.

Serve with my adapted healthier version of Cilantro Lime Rice

Ingredients:
1 cup extra long grain rice or basmati rice (we use brown rice)
1/2 lime, juice of
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
4 tsp vegetable oil (we use olive oil, and I didn't use that much oil either)

Directions:
In a small heavy pot, add rice, water, 1 tsp oil and salt. Boil on high until most of the water evaporates. When the water just skims the top of the rice, reduce to low and cover about 15 minutes. Turn heat off and keep covered an additional 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine chopped cilantro, lime juice, rice and remaining oil and toss until completely mixed.

Normally I would never choose pork as a taco meat and someone else around here doesn't really care much for cilantro. But it was really good. And I was told I could fix it again sometime, just not tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

LOL!! I am assuming no leftovers tonight? That looks like a good recipe! Thanks for posting it. :)