Thursday, September 10, 2009

all the way from ethiopia

I have a little girl in my class, little Miss B. who was adopted from Ethiopia three months ago. I wish I could show you her picture. She's as cute as all get out. Her name is longer than you can imagine and I'm doing pretty darn good with the pronunciation. Her American name was going to be Brooke, but to her, it sounded too much like Baruk, which is her uncle's name. So, back to her Ethiopian name we went.

When she arrived in the States, her mom told me that she barely spoke any English. Now she can understand pretty much anything you tell her and she's talking up a storm. Well, I haven't seen much of the talking part yet, but she did share a little story with me today. She was so excited to tell me her friend Thomas was just adopted by a family from Ohio. And he has a mommy and daddy. And she has a mommy and daddy. And she likes it in Oregon. And Thomas likes it in Ohio. It was just the cutest, sweetest thing you ever did hear.

Don't tell, but I like to think that she's my special little project. I can't wait to see how far she comes by the end of first grade.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Is she aware that Oregon is "THE BEAVER STATE"? lol couldn't resist! You know I will never let that die!