Saturday, July 25, 2009

i have a weird paranoia with egg casseroles

I'm paranoid about a lot of things, just ask my husband. But one thing in particular I'm extremely paranoid about is making an egg casserole. I don't make them for just the hubs and I because, really, do we need to eat eggs all week? I make them just on the rare occasion that we have guests in our home. And almost every time I make one, it seems like I have to bake the thing for an incredibly longer period of time than it says on the recipe card. It doesn't look right. It doesn't look done. It's too shaky in the middle. It's not getting brown. I don't know what it is, but I'm afraid of serving my guests raw eggs.

So this weekend we have one of Phil's brothers, his wife, and two of their kids staying with us. And I, of course, had to make an egg casserole for breakfast this morning. I left my trusty "it needs to bake an hour longer than it says casserole with ham & hashbrowns" in the recipe box and tried a new one instead. This particular casserole was served to us during Teacher Appreciation Week in May and we all loved it so much we begged for the recipe. Today was my first time actually making it (yes, my in-laws were my guinea pigs), and let's just say things went very well in the kitchen because people were going back for seconds!

Breakfast Casserole

10 eggs
1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 pint cottage cheese (I used low fat)
1 lb. shredded Jack cheese
8 oz. green chilis
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. melted butter

Beat eggs; blend in remaining ingredients. Pour into greased 9 X 13 pan. Bake 35 minutes at 350 until brown and firm.

Yes, I left it in longer than 35 minutes because I wanted it a little more golden brown. I also used about 3/4 of a pound of Jack cheese because, well, that's just a lot of cheese.

No comments: