Sunday, March 29, 2009

humming the hymnal

We sang a medley in church today of rock songs. Not that kind of rock (smile), but songs that reminded me that Jesus is my solid rock, my firm, strong ground. And having just so recently seen so many big huge rocks, I kept getting flashbacks of our trip to the coast while we were singing. We began with In Christ Alone by Stuart Townsend. May I just say, that man is a gifted songwriter.

In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone! who took on flesh
Fulness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones he came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied -
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave he rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine -
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.

We ended with The Solid Rock. I like this verse . . .

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way
He then is all my hope and stay.

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

It doesn't matter that we're moving and things are starting to look like this around here,

or that Phil's car died on Friday, had to be towed, and is going to cost what seems like an astronomical amount of money to get fixed, or that I have to get up early tomorrow morning to take him to work because he has no car, or that I have to go back to work and am not even remotely prepared, or that three of my friends' husbands have recently lost their jobs, or that my mom is having a heart catheterization tomorrow morning and I won't be there - if my hope is in Christ and in nothing less, then the ground beneath my feet is going to stand firm.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Praying for all of it, Schwen...

Kellie said...

Beautiful words and I love the Solid Rock hymn. He is our Rock and Fortress. I am hoping and praying today was better than you expected simply because you stood on the ROCK. :)