Tuesday, December 9, 2008

christmas brunch

On Saturday we had our ladies Christmas brunch. This year I signed up to decorate a table. Even though I had my book picked out (the theme was Christmas books), I was still a little nervous about pulling it all together. I mean, I scrapbook and all, but I definitely do not see myself as an interior decorator.

As previously posted, I chose the children's book, The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey. It's by far one of my favorite Christmas stories, and I knew that the Willow Tree Nativity set would go perfect with it. I mentioned it to my pastor's wife and, lo and behold, she had the starter set and said I could borrow it!

I have to give credit where credit's due because first of all I didn't have a table cloth. There were plastic red and green ones at the church, but I didn't want a plastic cloth and fine china. So Phil took a day off last week and I told him his one and only job that day was to find me a white round table cloth. Didn't he do a good job??? I also wasn't sure what I was going to use in the center to raise things up a bit. It was Phil's idea to get a cake plate (which I used for my pumpkin cheesecake) to set them on. Then I got the snowy garland and wrapped it around the base.

Phil helped me dig out all the china, his grandmother's china that he inherited. It's so pretty. It's white with a silver edge and a white floral design near the edge. It's very classic and will never go out of style. I totally would've picked it out for myself, but I didn't have to, because we already had this in a setting for 12. I used our crystal goblets & pitcher and silverware that were all wedding gifts, got some Christmas red napkins (and tried to remember the Word of Life Inn dining room folds to no avail), finally decided to iron them in an accordian fold, tied a little ribbon and a snowflake ornament, and here's what I ended up with . . .

I had some great company too - wonderful friends from our small group.

Marianne & Avery.

Angie & Maddie.

Barbara, me, and Marianne.

Barbara's granddaughter, Jaelle. She stole the show!


No comments: