Saturday, October 7, 2006

looking back

Another one of those quizzes. . .here are my answers.

1. When I was little, I wanted to be a nurse. Of course, knowing what I know now, I would have never made it. It seems funny to me now that my cousins and I used to play school at my Grandma's house. She worked in a school cafeteria and used to bring home textbooks that they were getting rid of. So not only were we playing school, but we were using real books! And not only did I become a teacher, but so did Ericka and Corey. Nadine teaches preschool now too. So something must've sunk in way back then.In high school I had my heart set on becoming a physical therapist. My parents took me all the way to Indiana so I could check out Grace College's biology program. Then at a parent/teacher conference, Mr. Hunt (my biology teacher) told my mom that I wasn't going to be a physical therapist but that I'd make a great elementary school teacher. When she came home and told me that, I laughed my head off. You all know now what I'm doing. I'm teaching elementary school. I think I owe a lot of it to Mr. Hunt. He knew.

2. There were lots of ways that I helped out around the house. Jenny & I took turns washing and drying the dishes, a job I still hate to this day. We did laundry, mowed the grass, dusted, cleaned, helped out with kids mom was babysitting. The worst thing was when mom started cleaning the church and we had to go help her so she could get it done in one day. I had the whole wing from the bathrooms and hallway to the opposite side. I whined a lot and got mad a lot, but it didn't do me any good. I still had to do it. Even when we'd have all night activities in youth group and we'd get back early on Saturday morning, I knew I wasn't going home until I had my work done. Has it made me a better housekeeper? That's doubtful. Will I ever become a church custodian? Not on your life.

3. I was most afraid of family problems. I don't know why. I guess because I knew kids whose parents were splitting up and I didn't want that to happen to us.

4. My first crush was Kevin Morrow in kindergarten. We had a little play house area and I kissed him in the kitchen. I remembered it, but didn't think anyone else would. Then I transferred to South Central my freshman year and right away they were all like, "Hey Kevin - that's the girl who kissed you in kindergarten!" I left a strong impression, I guess. First grade it was Sammy Nunn. In second grade I had severe hots for Stephen Caudill.

5. The story I still get teased about from my childhood is the Stove Top Stuffing episode with Uncle Joe. He and Aunt Lona came over and I wanted to help out with dinner. Mom said I could make the stuffing. Well, I read it wrong and added WAY TOO MUCH WATER! So it was like runny soup, not stuffing. We added a whole loaf of bread, but it didn't help much. Uncle Joe has been relentless about this ever since - thinks I'm incompetent in the kitchen, and as part of my wedding present gave me a box of Stove Top at our reception. After we were married, the first time I made Stove Top for dinner, I called Uncle Joe to tell him. He laughed and told me "No Way. Phil made it."

6. Family vacations. . .we didn't take many. There were the usual trips to Cedar Point and Sea World. I remember once at Geauga Lake my parents wanted me to tell them I was still 3, but I had just had my 4th birthday and was very adamant that I was 4. Mom and Dad had to pay for my ticket! We took one camping trip to the Mammoth Caves in Kentucky with a friend of Dad's from the Air Force. I remember us going to Niagra Falls for a few days with Jim and Cindy Bauckman. We just didn't really do the typical family vacation thing.

7. Summers were times to help mom husk corn or hull beans and ride bikes. I never had a library card, so trips to the library were out. I remember living on County Road 500 and playing with Amy and Angie - neighbors up the street. I'd spend a week at a time at my grandparent's farm and Grandma and I would bake cookies so I could sell them at her garage sale. Then there was always summer camp. I started going after 2nd grade and finished by spending 2 whole summers on Word of Life Island.

8. The bedroom I remember most had ugly paneling and a queen sized bed. There were two tiny windows up too high so I couldn't see out of them. Jenny and Chris were sharing a room (which was also the laundry room) and I felt bad, so I told her she could move in with me. We joke now about what a big mistake that was on my part.

9. My greatest talent was playing the flute. I had private flute lessons and a great music teacher at school. My grandparents had an old upright piano and I basically taught myself how to play from the hymnbook. I wasn't very athletic. I did play softball for Savannah for 3 summers. Oh, and I got pretty decent grades. That's a talent too!

10. The nicest thing my parents ever did for me was the sacrifice they made to keep me in Christian school for 8 years. Being a poorly paid Christian school teacher myself now, I know what a challenge it is to pay the tuition bills on time. And it didn't stop there. They continued to sacrifice and help keep me in college too. They are two of the most giving people I know.

No comments: